Pages

Monday 18 May 2015

The ready meal option

Scales are weird. A sneaky look this morning after an extremely indulgent weekend has the numbers showing down on where I was after last week’s second fast. I’m not arguing with it. I did weigh myself three times just to be sure…

Now that I’m getting back into the habit of regular fasting, I’m following the pattern I found worked well previously, of not eating at all during the day and then having a 400 – 500 cal meal in the evening. On days when I’m working in London, particularly if the kids are home and I’m not eating until late and exhausted, a ready meal is a great option. The advantages are that they are calorie counted, nutritionally balanced and super quick to heat.

I’m rather sad to see that WeightWatchers appear to have discontinued their “Steam and Serve” frozen meals, which were a regular standby and super cheap. I will have to instead stock up on some Cook! “OMG pots”. These are absolutely delicious with over a dozen varieties to choose from. They freeze and reheat from frozen perfectly so great to have on hand in the freezer. At around £4 per meal, they are not cheap but so yummy I think they are worth it.


My other standby is Marks and Spencers, as there is one at the station I commute from so I can pick something up on the way home. Most of these don’t freeze, so have to be bought and eaten within a day or two. I like their “Balanced for You” range which are high in protein and fill you up nicely.


I’ve recently had the opportunity to try some meals from the Fast Diet Kitchen range. These are long-life ready meals that can be kept in the cupboard, designed for you to eat two a day – usually a soup and a main meal. They cost between £4.75 and £6 per day, depending on how many you buy at one time. I’m not sure what the real connection between this supplier and Michael Mosley is, but their website states:
Our soups and main meals are there to support those who read the book and follow the advice given by Dr Michael Mosley and Mimi Spencer, and we believe this is reflected in the seamless branding and messages across the two sites and extends to a collaborative approach on our social media outlets.


I can see the attraction, it’s all counted and balanced and easily stored without freezing or refrigeration. However, the two I have tried so far were very disappointing. I’ve had the Butternut Risotto – couldn’t taste any butternut, very bland and no texture – and the Moroccan Meatballs – slightly better but still kind of sloppy. Not a patch on the OMG pots from Cook. These will stay in the cupboard and no doubt get used in emergencies, but if I’m only going to eat one thing on a fast day I want it to be something delicious, and these just don’t live up to that standard. If they really are recommended by Mr. Mosley and his team, he needs to rethink his endorsement!

On next week's blog, super quick tasty low carb replacements for rice and pasta. I'm on a mission!

No comments:

Post a Comment